JMHS Student News Publication

The Rocket

Beauty and the Beast movie review

Allison Fibison, Editor-In-Chief

A week after Beauty and the Beast hit the box office a couple of friends and I went to see the motion picture that, at the time, was at the top of the charts. Arriving half an hour early for the 6:30 showing, the theater was completely full; the 7 o’clock already full as well. We just barely got seats in the 7:30 showing, revealing just how popular the classic revival truly is. The movie has all your favorite characters and a similar plot but with the addition of  new songs including “How Does a Moment Last Forever?,” “Days in the Sun,” and “Evermore.” As well as having some new songs, plot was added to the movie, including an explanation and introduction to Bell’s mother, enhancing the meaning behind this classic tale. One of the more controversial moments included two men dancing together on screen. The very moment this appeared on screen the crowd erupted in applause, openly welcoming Disney’s first gay character. The applause at the end of the movie was even more intense as adults and children alike were in tears at the beautiful masterpiece before them.

This being a live action film, the connection formed with the characters is stronger than that of an animated film. It also expands the plot and the comprehension process is easier. The main actors and actresses include  Emma Watson as Belle, Dan Stevens as the Beast, Kevin Kline as Maurice, Josh Gad as LeFou and Luke Evans as Gastone. Emma Watson stood out the most in her transformation of becoming Belle. She dreamed of playing the role since she was a little girl and took the character to a whole new level making us truly believe she was, in fact, Belle. The duo who played Beauty and the Beast truly took the characters to a new level making them relatable to everyday people and the emotional struggles of everyday life.

When I was 4 years old watching this film for the first time I simply enjoyed my chance to sing along to the catchy tunes and the happy ending of a simple town girl becoming a princess, but today, watching the remake of this film, the symbolism and depth I see is moving and leaves me slightly speechless.  This movie is truly original. It embraces the timeless love story and classic lesson of the beauty within, while also speaking on the controversies of today such as the LGBTQ+ community and the loss of a loved one. This twist of events truly brings the tale to a new level. speaking about the original generation of its first release to now today’s generation and not only how far we have come, but that time embraces some concepts that never die such as acceptance of others, not judging a book by its cover and learning to dig a little deeper when getting to know someone.