The Rocket

Honors is Just One Option

Cole Norby, Staff

Being able to select one’s own classes is all part of high school. Students can explore their own interests and careers independently. However, some students prefer to search for a challenge in their education from the provided classes. Honors classes are an opportunity for students who pursue harder classes, usually in hopes for better outlooks on college applications.

At John Marshall, there is a stigma between students regarding regular and honors classes. Between levels, there seems to be a large attitude contrast toward school. It is  not true for all, but what seems to be apparent in regular classes is that students are easier going when faced with grades, take their own time with assignments, and overall don’t mind school.

You might know a few peers that are in regular level classes that fit these descriptions, as opposed to most honors level students. With honors students, it seems that this attitude isn’t the same most of the time. Honors students are typically a lot more concerned about their own grades – with not achieving straight A’s – complete assignments promptly, due to the fact their classes are usually crammed with homework, and believe school is the most vital part of their lives.

John Marshall sophomore, Andrew Curran, agrees. “Yeah, some honors students seem more preppy and uptight – you know?” stated Curran. “Honors kids seem to care way more [about school]. A lot of them pay more attention; In my regular classes, they’re a lot more talkative than my honors classes.”

“From what I’ve seen, they talk way more in regular classes than honors,” sophomore Sahra Jilaow adds. According to our peers, it does seem this divide is predominant. However, there’s no need for it. Many students in honors classes also have a regular class, and vice versa.

Now, as this is only a generalization, it isn’t always going to be true for all classes and peers. Could the stigma surrounding regular classes be the fault of the noisy, off-task students? Or could it be the teacher’s mistake for lowering their standards for those said off-task students? Considering the many “what if”’s and variables, it’s difficult to properly state why. Is this stigma highly believed among others? It very well may be. Do note, it is not always true – it’s just a generalization that’s been based off of other peers’ experiences.

There is a large assumption that students need to take all honors classes in order to make it into college. Fortunately, this is not true. Generalizations are usually far-fetched, considering the many factors that could lead to a stigma. Some honors classes are more talkative than some regular classes. It all depends on the factors such as teacher expectation, the students in the class, and possibly even the time of the class and subject. Many small things contribute to a reason how a class operates. Be sure to take the level of class you feel comfortable in, not based on the things you only hear. It’s best to take classes that are honors level for classes that you show interest in – otherwise it won’t be enjoyable!